Click on the pictures to make them larger

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum!

The work is progressing on the Christmas Tree for my son Ben overseas. I'm hoping he's not peeking while I work on this! LOL! The first thing after the plastic wrapping was sanding, sanding, and more sanding!
It was pretty rough to start with. Then all the little drawers needed sanding too.
I did have help with that part though. But after awhile, the minions were complaining that they were getting sawdust in their noses and started goofing off, so I gave them all a banana break.
After all, too much help can sometimes hinder a project. At this point, Dear Hubby offered his help to move this along a little quicker. Since this looked like softwood to us, we used some Minwax pre-stain wood conditioner.
It's supposed to help with blotchiness and you can start staining just 20 minutes after you apply it. Instead of painting this, I wanted to have the wood grain show. My father-in-law had some leftover green water base stain in just the right color. And I'm such a great daughter-in-law, he gave it to me! LOL!
It was applied with a small acid brush to the tree and I think once the final finish is on, it will look how I want.
All the drawers were next which was a little tricky. Even though I flowed it on, by the time I did the last few drawers, the first few were starting to dry. I wiped off the stain as best I could, but there are some glue spots to deal with.
Guess I'll be touching up with some green paint later. My original idea was to paint all the drawers different colors, then I thought maybe just paint the knobs different colors. So that is as far as we got today, tomorrow it will be paint and clear finish then overseas to my Dear Son! Have a great evening!

5 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful momma you are! I like the green stain! What are you putting inside the drawers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi! It will be a couple of years before I get to see my son again and he loves Christmas, so I thought he would like this. I'm packing a bag of candy with it so he can fill it along with an "ugly Christmas sweater" T-shirt! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you must miss and worry about him! It is so hard when they are so far away!

      Delete
  3. Cute Advent calendar. He'll love it. I have a sleigh with those same kind of drawers. We can fit 3 Hershey kisses in each one. No doubt they wouldn't mail well overseas. Hard candy is probably the best for that. Your picture with the gloves on made me think it was an operating table for a minute. Tee hee hee. - S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Operation....Christmas tree! LOL! Since the weather has cooled down a bit over there, going to try peanut butter chocolate somethings. He's a big peanut butter cup fan!

      Delete