Click on the pictures to make them larger

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Sideboard is done!

With all the news about blizzards and such last night, I was wondering what I was going to wake up to. It did indeed snow on the mountains
and this was what I saw when I opened the blinds on the back door:
It was pretty chilly though, somewhere in the teens this morning! Brrr! Good day to stay in and work on the sideboard. This is how it came out after a second coat and with the knobs painted white.
The clear finish I used on the cutting table seemed a little too shiny so I decided to try this one.
Still more shine than I would like,
I'll have to look for one with a lower gloss. Who would think that "satin finish" would be this shiny? I thought a doily would look nice on the top. I searched through my scrapbooking stuff but came up empty. Then I remembered that I have some small paper doilies that I like to use under teacups up in my cupboard. After looking it over, I cut a section out
and glued it to the top with glue stick.
Also discovered something, don't use glue stick on paper doilies...it kind of filled up the holes and got a little gunky. I should have remembered to pull out the E6000 Extreme Tack, I think it would have worked better.
The next thing I need to tackle is the lavender cabinet that will hold fabric bolts. I painted the knobs white and need to sand and second coat the top where the doors are.
I still need to saw the tops off of a couple more Michael's hutches to build the other two and I can't for the life of me remember how I did it on the first one. I had cut these about two years ago and set them aside for another project so it has been awhile. Dear Hubby has agreed to cut them on the bandsaw,
so I will post pictures so you can see him at work. Hope you enjoy the pictures today, there are alot of them! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I love that color blue! The cabinet looks great! The palett your choosing is going to look so awesome in a quilt shop!

    After being fairly unhappy about the glossy look of even the matte varnishes lately, I tried out FolkArt's clear wax:

    https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-Decor-8-Ounce-34170-Clear/dp/B00JRR29Z6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489617912&sr=8-3&keywords=folkart+clear+wax

    It's supposed to be used as the top coat to their line of chalk paints, and it works well for that. But even over acrylic paints I love that it smooths the surface and gives it a little glow but does not give off a weird shine. The directions say that you can buff it to a high gloss with a soft cotton cloth. I did a couple test scraps and it all looks great! A 2oz or 4oz jar will last forever in miniatures and you can probably find it much better priced at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby with a coupon.

    It's so fun to take a break and see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I will certainly look for that Folkart wax next time I'm out and about. It looks like it could solve the problem. It is good to be back and my sister-in-law is delighted with the things I build for her shop.

      Delete