Click on the pictures to make them larger

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Disappointment and a Little Progress...

It has been a whirlwind week around here! Dental appointments, truck maintenance, and doctor appointments all to make sure everything is in working order before our trip this summer..including me! ;) I received the 40% off coupon from Hobby Builders Supply a week or so ago and thought I might be able to do better on Ebay. Found another Greenleaf Village for only 19.99. I jumped on it without thinking because it said new old stock. When it arrived, it was a box full of empty frames; not one little house in the lot.
So did the usual and asked for a refund and the seller was prompt and courteous. He had bought it at an estate sale and was told it was complete....he didn't check either. So when you are tempted to buy on Ebay, always, always insist on pictures of the contents and how many sheets there are. My common sense went out the window and I ended up empty handed. But...I got my money back. In other news, I did make a little progress on the church. I finished the stonework and applied the glue. I didn't dampen my finger and rub over the stones this time...I thought, "How much difference can that make?" Quite a bit actually. The first section I did had more dimension and a bit of shine; this second section had a matte look and less dimension. So I ended up putting another layer over the whole thing and this is how it looks now.
I think I'm going to try one more coat and rub it with my finger this time and see how it goes. With all the glue that is on this, it certainly won't fall apart! LOL! While I was shopping the other day, I came across this container in Harbor Freight.
I thought it would 
work for carrying all the little things I want to use on the Fairy Village I hope to build this summer. Oops! I think I just let the cat out of the bag! Wouldn't it be fun if I could use natural materials I find along the way? I'll either stick them in the freezer to kill any creepy crawlies or toast them in the oven. Another project today was to clear a spot on my workbench and bring the small drill press in from Dear Hubby's shop. It was quite a bit heavier than I remembered and I bet I looked pretty funny heaving this thing across the back yard. If someone could follow me around and make YouTube videos of me doing this sort of thing, I'd be rich....So here it is in place, now I need something to drill holes in...:)

Take care everyone and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Busy week for you. So many last minute details to remember. Whew!
    So to follow up on your stone technique, does the glue and dampness raise the grain of the egg carton, sort of puffing it up at bit? The pieces appear more 3 dimensional in your "after" pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey S! Since I tear the egg carton, the edges are thinner than the center most of the time so when I glue them down, they are a bit higher in the center. The glue just seems to accentuate this effect, the pieces don't seem to be physically changed. Next week should be quieter, hope to get all the stonework done then.

    ReplyDelete