Click on the pictures to make them larger

Monday, October 2, 2017

Inquiring minds want to know....

A new dollhouse builder named Debbie had some good questions for me so I thought I would share the answers here in case there is someone else wondering about the same things. But first of all, I would like to thank her for her kind comments and I am glad she is enjoying the blog! Welcome! One of the questions was whether she would like a dark room with no view. My new shop has a double window, but they look out onto the porch so actually have less light coming in. I use a combination of a small fluorescent fixture over my bench which was secondhand and gifted, and a brushed nickel task light I found in a thrift shop with a Reveal bulb in it.
This combination of lighting seems to work the best for me so colors are more realistic. I only have a view of the front yard and the neighbors house, but I am usually too absorbed in what I am doing  to notice. And that dust factor....keep in mind that for the most part, you are sanding tiny pieces that create tiny amounts of dust. It does float around in the air though, so if you would rather not breathe it, you can wear a dust mask....like my custom one here...:D
If I have to sand big things, I wait for a nice day and take it outside. My husband says the next thing I need is a very small shop vac so he can set it up to suck up the dust from each power tool. But this is something you can do down the road, it's not a necessary item. These are the tools I started with and what I built most of my first dollhouse with back in the 80's.
Also add masking tape...very handy for dry fitting and for holding your house together while the glue dries.  I chose the Greenleaf Glencroft because I liked the look of it...no one told me it had a bazillion pieces to it...each of which would have to be sanded. I always thought it was the funniest thing in the world that Greenleaf would give you one piece of sandpaper packed in with the dollhouse kit! The laser house Debbie is looking at sounds fantastic...not nearly the amount of sanding required as the regular punch out kits...a lot less slivers too. As I continued to make more things, I exchanged my clothespin clamps for real ones and the folded bits of sandpaper for my favorite little sander...lots easier on the hands. The cork-backed ruler I have had for at least 30 years, so you can see that these things stand the test of time.
It doesn't slip when I am trying to cut something with my Exacto knife and is a whole lot safer for the old fingers. As you continue to work on more projects, you might find this tiny chop saw will come in mighty handy for cutting lengths of molding and narrow strip wood.
It was only about $35 at Harbor Freight, and I of course used my 20% off coupon. The newest power tool from them is a small table saw.
I was trying to use it the other day to cut the wood strips for the fabric bolts but had a problem getting a nice straight cut. I think some modifications are in order for this one...don't go jumping on it just yet. And, what about books. These are all my dollhouse books right now.
Some were gifts, some were old copies libraries were getting rid of and others were purchased over time. But my hands down favorite is one by Caroline Hamilton.
It was printed awhile back, but if you can get a copy, I think you will enjoy it. Her writing is down-to-earth and she has great ideas and inspiration. My favorite reference books are these...especially if you are doing a Victorian style dollhouse.


These were used books I bought online and they are especially great for exterior painting ideas. A good suggestion about books is to see if you can borrow them from your local library or inter-library lending program before you buy. You might find one that you enjoy more than the ones I've recommended....and that's fine too. Each person in this hobby has their own favorite tools and methods and you will find you will too. Oh, I just remembered, you will need glue too! LOL! Don't use hot glue, the new stuff doesn't last and you can burn yourself on it too. Good old yellow wood glue works great for wooden things and tacky glue for most of the rest of it. Hope this answered your questions....you can ask anytime. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment