Click on the pictures to make them larger

Monday, April 27, 2020

Chain Reaction...

It's funny how you start a project and it then depends on something being done before you can finish. Then, while you are waiting, you start something else and it seems to go on and on at times. But that's okay, miniaturists tend to be long on patience and have plenty of odd bits to work with. I wanted to put the floor in with some border paste but when I opened the one I found in the garage, it had separated and smelled like rotten eggs! Ewww! I got a text from my daughter that she was at Lowes so asked if she would buy me a new pail of border paste. She sent me a picture and brought some home for me.
The first thing I wanted to do was glue down that flooring...then I remembered, I have to paint the floor first!
Let's see, what other trouble can I get into...I'm beginning to sound like Mr. Skellie! LOL! A while back I found a ship's throttle online and needed a base for it to make it a little higher. Going through my plastic pieces, I found a purple plastic piece that looked like it would work. I also had a helm piece that was a pencil sharpener that needed some work too. I rummaged through my cabinet, now tucked in the garage, and found the flat back crystals that I used for rivets. I started gluing them on both pieces when I heard the Captain groan, "Not this again..." as he left the room.
The first time he saw me gluing crystals on things he was wondering if I had lost my mind. Then once they were painted and put in place, he calmed down. I just chuckled to myself and kept putting more of them on. I remembered having a partial can of hammered texture spray paint somewhere so made another foray into the garage. Found it!
It even had some left in it; and I had a pizza box left over that I could use to spray paint the pieces on. The purple piece was first,
then I glued on the ship's throttle...came out pretty good!
So next up was the helm. I still had plenty of paint left, so went back outside and had a go.
Some of my grandchildren were outside too painting their radio controlled cars so we were all having fun crafting away! I put the ship's wheel on to see how it would look and was really happy with it.
I think the ship's wheel needs some painting details so will fool around with that while I wait for the floor to dry. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Buenos trabajos de pintura! El timón quedó genial.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic! It's so funny how often we have just the perfect piece for what we need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever using those found bits. They turned out great. i'm not sure if I would have thought of the purple thing or the crystals. I probably would have been stupid enough to try to make rivets out of clay or something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. On second thought,I would have tried cutting the heads off pins to make rivets, because I would have been thinking 'metal'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the ship's throttle and the ship's wheel and can already imagine them installed in the Steampunk house, riveted to the floor your installing. Speaking of which,I have never used wallpaper border paste before although I've seen it used by other miniaturists in the past, but Why do you prefer it?

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I purchased miniature wallpaper paste in a tiny tub, I noticed it was about the same texture as full size border paste...so since I had some border paste on hand, I tried it and it seems to hold up very well.

    ReplyDelete