Click on the pictures to make them larger

Friday, October 6, 2017

A new fabric display for the Quilt Shop

Back in the spring, I showed you how to turn this:
and this:
into these:
Bill cut the top cabinet sections off on the bandsaw which was incredibly helpful as pine is harder than it looks when you have a fine tooth saw and achy hands. I was left with 2 bases that I thought might be used down the road for sideboards.
The other day, I was looking through Pinterest (dangerous place! LOL!) when I saw a back to back fabric display that I thought I could duplicate for Marlene's Quilt Shop. I played around with the 2 leftover bases and liked what I saw.
I pried off all of the feet first and then realized that the ladies in the quilt shop would very likely trip over those corners near the floor.
Then if I put feet on the whole thing, they would be barking their ankles....who says I overthink things? ;) So I placed each piece in my miter saw and sawed away. 
Very good workout for the triceps...on 1 arm anyway. After some sanding, I applied some wood glue to the back of each piece,
spread it around and clamped it together.
I used a damp rag to clean up the excess glue and let this whole thing sit for awhile while I went and ate some lunch. I took it out of the clamps and decided it needed feet so dug through my bead stash and found some old pony beads that look just right.
This is going to be white, so I was lucky to find white pony beads in the container. So here it is with the knobs I glued in waiting for its first coat of paint.
And of course, I had to try it out in place...
Now I get to make about 30 more fabric bolts, and the Quilt Shop will have more storage too.  Looks like I'll be back over to Marlene's house with my scissors...Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment